Community Aims for 100 Million Steps in 2018
The Walking to Wellness 2018 goal of 100 million steps is accompanied by the availability of a walkability assessment DVD and toolkit. Several upcoming walks have been scheduled, and more will be coming from multiple community partners throughout the year. Walkers may enjoy free organized walks, guided by an experienced, professional staff member, at the following locations in 2018:
- Wellness Walkabilty and walking promotion Workshop Feb 3rd 10AM StTeresesa's Parish Hall S Buffalo
- Mall Walks: Held at local area malls the last four Fridays of March. On-Site Registration at 8:30 am, walks at 9:15 am. Dates & location to be determined. Each walk includes a door prize drawing, health and wellness resources, health screenings, light healthy refreshments, and an opportunity to meet new people and socialize. If school district in which the mall is located is closed due to weather, (Amherst Central Schools or Cheektowaga Central Schools) the walk is canceled.
- Reflective Walks at Delaware Park: Held March through November on the first Sunday of the month, 10:45 am to 11:30 am. Walks are one-to-two miles and begin and end at the Hoyt Lake, Marcy Casino area. Routes will alternate through Delaware Park based on the season. Co-sponsored by the Center for the Study of Art & Architecture, History & Nature (C-SAAHN).
- National Walk at Lunch Day: Wednesday, April 26
- Downtown Walks: First four Wednesdays of May, May 2 – 30.
- BNMC Walks: Wednesdays from May 31 – August 30, Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus
The nonprofit Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo & WNY celebrated its 25th Anniversary in 2014, and provides facilitation, support, and programs for healthy communities utilizing an interdisciplinary model that addresses Environmental, Civic, Economic, and Human Health.
*Save the Date*
Event: Building a Healthy Buffalo & WNY Community Panel & Discussion featuring Dr. Kate Kraft, CEO America Walks
Date: Saturday, February 3rd 2018
Location: St. Teresa Parish Center; 1974 Seneca St, Buffalo, NY 14210
- 9:15 AM: Registration/Networking
- 10:00 AM: Keynote presentation by Dr. Kate Kraft, CEO America Walks
- 11:00 AM: Panel Discussion Feauring Robert Shibley and Justin Booth
- 12 Noon: Networking healthy Lunch
- 1:00 PM: Walkability training
Cost: FREE RSVP on Enentbrite